There are many things to be grateful for each day – beginning with the ability to open one’s eyes and begin a NEW day ‘anew”. At THANKSGIVING DAY CELEBRATIONS – we give thanks for the many things for which we are grateful. The magic of marijuana is one of those many things on the list of many patients who struggle with digestive and bowel issues.
CANNABIS THE WONDER WEED is one of the lowest-risk experimental treatments available. Unlike its chemical counterpart – PHARMACEUTICALS which come with a host of potential side-effects. The effectiveness of cannabis for treating symptoms related to gastrointestinal disorders is widely recognized. Its value as an anti-emetic and analgesic has been proven in numerous studies and has been acknowledged by several comprehensive, government-sponsored reviews, including those conducted by the Institute of Medicine (IOM). The IOM concluded, “For patients . . . who suffer simultaneously from severe pain, nausea, and appetite loss, cannabinoid drugs might offer broad-spectrum relief not found in any other single medication.”
In short, stimulation with cannabinoids has been proven to relax digestive muscles and improve intestinal motility, decreasing inflammation, cramping, spasms, and irritating chemical secretions that can occur in digestive disorders. cannabinoids like THC and CBD enter the body through key receptors (in the gut and otherwise) sending signals to the brain to regulate systems more efficiently and act as an anti-inflammatory in the process. Patients have seen great success using potent cannabis oils and tinctures, medicated edibles and beverages (which absorb directly into the gastrointestinal tract!) as well as smoked or vaped cannabis buds/flowers.
After a hefty meal loaded with delicious carbs, and a probable OD on Tryptophan you’re bound to be feeling bloated, possibly even a little bit nauseous. You think about counteracting your discomfort with some cannabis, but which strains will offer the best digestive aid? Don’t worry, we’re hear to help!
Here’s a list of strains we’ve researched (Thanks Leafly) that will aid digestion and ease your aching tummy after a huge holiday meal:
- Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies: This hybrid cross has some pretty impressive origins – we all know the famous Girl Scout Cookies of legendary status. Cross that with Durban Poison from a continent away in South Africa, and you’ve got a powerhouse combination that will knock any uncomfortable indigestion out solid (although it might knock you out, too). As an added bonus, this strain tastes like a nice minty after-dinner treat!
- SFV OG Kush: is a heavy indica to top all heavy indicas. Of Afghani origins, crossed with OG Kush and SFV OG, this indica has a spicy citrus kick followed by a sleepy stone. Don’t hit this bad boy unless you’re ready to go down for the count.
- BayDream: Looking for something that’ll settle your tummy but won’t leave you in a coma? Check out this savory sativa. A cross of Blue Dream and Bay 11, Bay Dream has a soothing effect on the stomach, with a cerebral burst of euphoria. This is also an excellent strain if you’re looking for a creative boost to get some work done.
- Ringo’s Gift: is best for those looking for a dose of pain relief with their relaxation. This peppery strain crosses Harle-Tsu and ACDC for a powerful full-body pain reliever without the stoney couchlock effect. The body buzz is strong, but the cerebral effects are subtle – you might be talking someone’s ear off for 20 minutes before you notice.
- Chemo: This strain’s name really says it all. It was conceived to counteract the side effects of chemotherapy, and this is easily the top strain for anyone dealing with nausea, stomach cramping, or a loss of appetite. Keep in mind that Chemo is P-O-T-E-N-T, but it’s the perfect choice if you’re looking for a comfy after-dinner snooze.
- Blue Hawaiian For a more subtle approach, this combination of the classic Blue Dream and Hawaiian Sativa will smooth out your stomach and give you a happy head high. It’s a balanced hybrid, offering a tropical taste of pineapple and a sweet burst of blueberry. After a few puffs, you’ll be feeling super mellow without a care in the world.
- Strawberry; Strawberry flavors highlight another stomach-soothing sativa strain you can try. It’s especially good for those who might be prone to anxiety, as Strawberry offers a calm, relaxing buzz without the paranoia that is often common in sativa strains. This one is also a great choice for those who have social anxiety, particularly if your relatives are *ahem* out-staying their welcome.
- Pure Kush Tried and true, this indica is a favorite for those looking to stop their pain dead in its tracks. This is the strain you’ll want if you’re looking to sedate yourself into a sleepy stupor. It starts with a little sativa surge for the first few minutes, followed immediately by a pleasant pressure in your head and face. Once you settle yourself after a little dose of Pure Kush, don’t make any plans because you won’t be moving from your spot for a while.
- Maui Bubble Gift: With a name like that, this strain sounds a bit discombobulated, but that’s really just because it’s a delightful hybrid composed of the best of all worlds. With origins in Maui Waui, Bubble Gum, and God’s Gift, this strain really is a gift. It’s This usually high in CBD, with a pleasantly cerebral buzz from Maui Waui, a blast of pain relief from Bubble Gum, and a gentle, caressing body stone that swoops in at the last minute. Your tummy troubles will soon be forgotten with Maui Bubble Gift!
- Hashberry: This is a nice indica to try as an indigestion aid that won’t knock you out. Hashberry has resinous buds covered in sticky trichomes, so keep in mind that it’s not a strain for beginners. It has a soothing effect on muscles as well as offers full body relaxation while still allowing some degree of sociability. You’ll be giggly and relaxed without being comatose.
There you have it! By now, hopefully you’ve got your feet up, a smile on your face, and are experiencing blissful satisfaction (hopefully while wearing comfy, stretchy pants).
Happy Turkey Day!
BE HAPPY, GET HEALTHY & STAY STRONG
Join us at the Cafe any day WEDNESDAY thru SUNDAY we are open to the public 11-7